Friday, December 19, 2008

First time cars for the self concious

It's now my turn to introduce myself, I'm Roman, and I'm one of those people who can't like a car unless it has style. This is probably because I want to be a car designer at some point in the future, so I take my criticism of looks a little more seriously than perhaps I should. Incase you might be wondering, I think the greatest car of all time is the Ferrari 250 GT. Now, I know what you're thinking, in terms of raw facts, this car doesn't stand a chance against... say, a BMW M3, but that's not the point. A BMW M3 has good looks, the power bulge on its bonnet gives it a mean, powerful look; but the Ferrari is the definition of beauty. Few cars of late have come to rival it, with the notable exception of the Alfa Romeo 8C.

So now the big question is, what is the best looking car for first time buyers? Well, I'll split my selection up into three categories: less than £1000, £1000 to £5000 and £5000 to £10000.

Let's start with the sub £1000 cars, and to be honest, this is a hard one. What are the usual suspects? Ford fiestas, Ford Orions and Astras comprise the main bulk of this category. If I wanted to be really honest, all cars in this category are hideous, but, I have spotted a few gems. If you don't mind going for a tatty Mitsubishi FTO, then you'll be cruising in the cheapest ride around which will get peoples heads turning. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration.

I have a lot more room to manouvre now in the £1000 to £5000 category. The no doubt winner of this sector is the Alfa Romeo GTV. Yes, ok, apart from looks this car has nothing going for it. Chances are you'll end up on the side of the motorway trying to cool the leaking engine that's just gone up in a bloom of smoke. But my god, you'll be the best looking motorist to ever break down on the m4.

This brings me on to my final category for those of you who have very rich parents who happen to own their own insurance companies. Well, some scouring on secondhand car websites have thrown up an unlikely, but indeed very worthy winner. The BMW Z4. Yep, even I didn't know you could snap one up at this sort of price range, but shows what I know doesn't it? Ok, for this sort of car, you're looking at the business end of a 5-10k price range, but hey! we've all got to indulge in life sometimes.

Roman

No comments:

Post a Comment